*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

November 06, 2015

My Daughter's Accident March 29, 2014

This is a path I don't want to travel again.  This post is about the day I almost lost one of my kids to a snowmobiling accident.  We had gone up to the community pasture just south of Mountain View to do a little snowmobiling with my three oldest kids.  It was a nice day, sunny and we were having a good time.  We drove the snowmobiles to a clearing and thought it would be fine to let the kids try riding them by themselves.  It seemed harmless but probably not wise looking back.  They were riding them for about 20 minutes and not having any troubles then all of a sudden I heard one engine rev up and looked over and saw my daughter on a snowmobile flying into a thicket of trees.  We got to her and the snowmobile was laying on top of her and her legs were twitching.  I quickly removed the machine and to make a long story short she had suffered a head injury.  She had cracked her skull and was air lifted to Calgary's Children's hospital for recovery.  It was a miracle how quickly she recovered and we were truly blessed many times along the way.   So here are some pictures of that day and the days that followed.

The Pole Haven Ski Cabin (I started my google track here) notice Brittnee not posing for the photo!

Just minutes before the accident

At the ICU at the Children's Hospital hooked up to every sort of tube imaginable

CAT scan of her skull, you can see the fracture on the right, the Doctors said this fracture probably saved her from having brain damage as it relieved the pressure of the swelling on her brain

Home and siblings happy she made it home (this was April 3rd, her accident was 5 days earlier, truly a miracle recovery)
Google Track from Ski Lodge to Accident Site


No comments:

Post a Comment