*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

November 09, 2015

Bertha Peak August 23, 2010

This was my brothers birthday and to celebrate we went on a hike.  It was also the last big hike I would do with Dad before he left on his LDS Mission.  We also had my sister-in-law and brother-in-law join us.  We hiked up to Bertha Lake and then hiked on the north side of the lake for a ways then took a good route that looked clear enough and headed up the south slopes of Bertha Peak.  We eventually summited and had great views of the Waterton Lake and Bertha Lake and falls below.  It was kind of funny at no other peak I have done has there been a picture frame at the Cairn.  Here here was a picture of a guy on a horse??? Kind of random but must have been some memorial to him.  We descended about the same way we came up except we passed through this bowl south east of the summit and it looks like people have used it as a overnight camping spot.  There are no un-designated camping sites if I recall in the Park but nobody is going to catch you up here.

Bertha Lake

Climbing up and seeing Bertha Lake below shimmering

Another view of Bertha Lake on the way up

Stopping to rest in the brush

Some Bear Grass in bloom

Neat little grass meadow we came across

The ground here was a bunch of little grass hills

Getting ever higher

And higher

Starting to see the Prairie out east

Almost at the top

Finally there, with a great view of the Waterton Lakes

Summit Cairn with father and sons and man on a horse!

View down to Upper Waterton Lake, Upper Bertha Falls, and Bertha Lake

View of Alderson Peak on left and Carthew on right

Crandell Mountain to the North

Pretty awesome cliff to look down

Closer view of upper Bertha Falls

Looking down this valley towards where the Carthew Summit Hike goes

Start to head down

Took a little side route to view Alderson Lake and the Carthew Lakes above

Close up of Carthew Lakes and Alderson Lake on bottom corner

Buchanan Ridge and Peak on left and Blakiston on far right

Shot with Summit Hike trail behind me
 
Almost to Bertha Falls with a great view of Vimy Peak

Approximate Path we took

No comments:

Post a Comment