*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

November 07, 2015

Crypt Lake August 18, 2012

This is the first big hike I took my oldest Daughter on.  Our group was me, my two oldest kids and my brother-in-law.  We decided to canoe across to Crypt Lake landing and hike from there.  I hadn't used a canoe for a few years and my parents old trusty canoe which was bought when I was like 5 came in handy.  We did make the mistake of me the heaviest riding in the front, because when the International Boat passed us the ensuing waves caused us to bob up and down in the lake and as a result since I was the heavy end in the front we actually swamped the front of the boat and took on a few inches of water.  So I got to hike the rest of the day in wet boots.  This is one reason I decided to get new boots the next year.  The hike was beautiful. Crypt Lake hike is rated as one of the best hikes in Canada if not North America.  It has it all, a boat ride, beautiful water falls, a cave to climb through and a beautiful mountain lake at the end.  It isn't the toughest hike but it will get you gasping for air at times.  As you can see in some of the pictures it was a very hot day from my sweat on my shirt.

Beginning of the hiking, calm day on the lake

Looking south towards Glacier National Park (Campbell Mountain)

Hell Roaring Falls


Another View of Hell Roaring Falls

Campbell and Richards (Left and right respectively)

We saw a little Black bear on the trail, he took off in a hurry

2nd Waterfall on the hike

Close up view of the waterfall, it is hard to photograph this waterfall because of all the trees in the way

Looking back at where we have come

Waterfall number 3 for the day...as you can see I'm getting pretty hot and sweaty!

Close up view of the 3rd waterfall

Mt. Boswell (this is one of those pictures I take where I will look at for future reference to climb this peak)

We are gaining elevation and the valley below is looking more and more pretty

Almost at the cave (it is actually on the far left) with a view of the Lake below and Mt. Boswell above

Getting ready to enter the cave

Climbing up the ladder

It is amazing that this cave just appears here.

Cave pose!

Looking back from inside the cave

Carter and Brittnee climbing through the cave.  Guys like me who are tall almost have to crawl to make it through

Crypt Falls now in view

The infamous cord you are "suggested" to hold onto, if you are afraid of heights it is recommended, I don't though

Nice view of the valley below with Vimy Peak on the right

Crypt Lake, quite a site!

Mark went in for a dip

A photo view from in the lake

I was too hot not to take a dip

Ready to head down

Looking down on Crypt Falls


The view on this hike make you realize why it is such a highly rated hike

Stream above Crypt Falls

Stream ready to fall off the cliff

The way down keeping close to the cord

The trail is pretty wide for the most part but there are some narrow parts and it is more precarious when there are groups trying to ascend and descend at the same time.  The tunnel/cave can also be hard on busy days as it is a one way only tunnel and you may have to wait for a big group to get through before you can go through

Back in the cave/tunnel

The Park used to have a camp site just east of the cave entrance by this beautiful little stream, but they took it out.  There is still an out-house to use if you have business to take care of

The tunnel portion of the hike is actually in the middle right of this photo 

Crypt Falls, long ways to fall

Sun behind Mt. Boswell

Canoe ride home was a little choppier and we had to paddle against the wind

I rode in the back on the way back...we learned our lesson (fat guys in the back)

No comments:

Post a Comment