*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

November 01, 2015

Bauerman, Kootenai Brown, Lost and Anderson September 20, 2014

This was one of the most rewarding and awe inspiring hikes that I have done.  It was one of the most beautiful fall days I have ever hiked in.  The clarity from the summits was epic and pictures on this day will never do justice.  This hike was a long one but well worth the time and energy.  We summited 3 named (Bauerman, Lost, and Anderson) and one unofficial summit (Kootenai Brown).  We started at Red Rock Canyon and took the Blakiston Falls trail and continued on as if we were to hike to Twin Lakes.  Once on the high point of the ridge overlooking Twin Lakes we headed East towards Bauerman Peak and continued that same ridge and bagged all the Peaks along the way till we finally reached Anderson and then headed down the south col all the way to the trail we had come on before.  Noting to technical with this scramble but it is very long and lots of ups and downs.  I always like checking out other summits from the hikes I do and this one was no exception.  Just to illustrate the clarity from up top, one could see all the way to Crownest Mountain to the north and then to Chief Mountain to the South East, truly spectacular.

Fall colors on Lone Mountains north side

Nice view of the Continental divide ridge between Festubert and Kishinena Peaks

This is the High point overlooking Twin Lakes where you leave the trail and head towards Bauerman (little cairn marks the way)

Looking down on Twin Lakes

Not sure why the pine trees turned this color?

Peak one for the day (Bauerman)

Ridge walk between Bauerman and Kootenai Brown

Looking back at Bauerman and the cliff below.

The two "named" peaks that we reached at the end with Lost on the right and Anderson in the middle

Looking back at Bauerman and Kishinena Peak behind it

Summit two for the day (Kootenai Brown)

Coming down Kootenai Brown

Cliff to the north of Lost

Summit three for the day Lost

Chief Mountain in the distance

The peak that has what look like feet is called Castle Peak and then Crownest Mountain in the distance to the right

Cloudy Peak and Dungarvan Peak


Looking down from Anderson to where Red Rock Canyon would be, but the parking lot is blocked by the mountain

Peak four for the day Anderson

Heading down (Mount Blakiston on the right)

Heading down with Blakiston on left and Hawkins on right

Sun setting on Lone Mountain and still not back on the trail

Got back with just enough light to snap this silhouette picture of Anderson Peak from Red Rock canyon

Panorama on Bauerman

Panorama on Lost

Panorama on Anderson

Google Track of Hike

Stats of Hike:
Total distance: 26.00 km (16.2 mi)
Total time: 12:14:39
Moving time: 11:04:33
Average speed: 2.12 km/h (1.3 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 2.35 km/h (1.5 mi/h)
Max speed: 5.22 km/h (3.2 mi/h)
Average pace: 28:15 min/km (45:29 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 25:34 min/km (41:08 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 11:29 min/km (18:29 min/mi)
Max elevation: 2661 m (8729 ft)
Min elevation: 1460 m (4790 ft)
Elevation gain: 3309 m (10856 ft)
Max grade: 44 %
Min grade: -67 %
Recorded: 9/20/2014 7:54 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment