*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

November 11, 2015

Crandell Peak July 8, 2005

At this time we were down in Southern Alberta for a family holiday.  We were currently living in Yellowknife and since graduating from University in 2004 I had not really done much hiking.  In fact I had not done a significant hike since 2001 before I got married.  I had been busy with school and young kids and this was the first hike I had done since then.  Almost a 4 year break.  So my Dad and I decided to do a peak I had done 5 years earlier.  Crandell Mountain is most known for a point that everyone seems to hike and it is Bears Hump.  This little hike gives you one of the best views of Upper Waterton Lake.  So on this day my mom and sister accompanied us to Bears Hump and then Dad and I continued the rest of the way up the mountain.  It is a little technical at time, no ropes or gear needed though as you are doing some pretty good rock climbing.  Once you reach the top you see a helicopter landing pad and a weather station.  The view down to Waterton Lakes looking the way you came up are impressive and you catch yourself stopping and starring the entire way up.  I've since learned an alternate ascent and descent but on this occasion we hiked the same I had done 5 years earlier.  We circles around and came down the Crandell Lake side of the mountain and had my mom and sister pick us up at Crandell Lake.  Great day and good company to boot.

View from Bears Hump looking down on Upper Waterton Lake

View of the ridge we would take to the summit

Vimy across the way

Shot with my family before we split for a few hours

This is some of the what the rock climbing looked like

Great shots looking back on Waterton Lake

Now my turn for the cliff picture

Dad on the summit flexing his bulging muscles

First summit in 4 years

Looking south east to Vimy and Chief

Looking out over the prairie

Approximate path we took to the top and down to Crandell Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment