*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

November 07, 2015

Avion Ridge and Newman Peak August 25, 2012

This was the last hike I did with my father before he passed away suddenly the next Friday.  I had been itching to do a hike so I called him up and we both headed out that Saturday morning.  We decided to do this hike and we took our bikes and biked from Red Rock Canyon to Goat Lake turn-off.  There we headed up to Goat Lake and then continued on to the ridge above.  We then headed west and summited Avion Ridge first then came back and summited Newman Peak.  It was a gorgeous day and one I'll never forget. The clearness of the air was incredible as you could see for miles around.

Creek just before Goat Lake

Goat Lake

Heading up the ridge above Goat Lake

At the ridge looking north into Castle Country

One of my favorite last pictures of Dad on the Ridge above Goat Lake

Heading over to Avion Ridge with Newman Peak behind

Heading over to Avion Ridge looking down the Red Rock roadway in the distance

North to Castle Country

Looking South West to Glacier National park peaks

Interesting little Cairn somebody build that looked like a man with a hat

On Avion Ridge looking into the valley north of it

Dad on Avion Ridge

Bauerman Peak left of center

Anderson, Lost and Kootenai Brown peaks

Another shot of Dad in the distance on Avion Ridge

Dad again with Mt. Glendowan and Cloudy Peak on left

Looking Northwest to the Catle Area again

Heading up Newman Peak now with Goat lake below

His final summit

Spectacular view of the mountains of Waterton south of us!

Last Picture I have with my Dad on Newman Peak

A moment I'll never forget, sure glad I asked him to hike with me that day! #milesformarkellingson

Looking toward Crandell Mountain in the middle

Picture of the Glacier National Park Peaks (I think that is Kintla the tallest one on the right)

Approximate track we took (about 25 km total for the day even though about 9 km was biking)

Panorama on Avion Ridge

No comments:

Post a Comment