*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

July 26, 2018

Iceberg Notch and Iceberg Peak Glacier National Park July 25, 2018

This was one of those days you dream about happening and then you live it.  The forecast called for 60 percent chance of thunderstorms, but we still headed out.  When we started our objective was Iceberg Peak, we had not quite made it last year and we really wanted to bag this summit this time.  At first it looked as though the forecast was going to be correct, then as we started up towards the Notch from Iceberg lake the socked in clouds began to dissipate.  The early morning fog on the lake was cool looking but nothing is better than sunshine looking down on that lake.  The Notch was way easier this time since we knew the way up.  We then headed around and started the scramble up to the Peak.  It was a bit of a grunt going up but then we were very much rewarded.  The view was truly one of the best I've ever had and the entire time we were on the summit there was not a breath of wind and we encircled about by amazing clouds that just passed by.  The only disappointment was we didn't get to see last weeks summit Merritt as the clouds never left that area to our north.  We eventually decided we had to leave this little spot of heaven and made our way down.  The return seemed longer than it should have but we eventually made it out but all in all an amazing day and we only got the tiniest of showers at the lake after we descended, so we luckily got the good 40 percent of that 60 percent chance of thunderstorms.

What the beginning of our day looked like, not very promising

Fog on the Lake and above the Lake at Iceberg Lake

Another shot of the fog starting to dissipate on the lake

Another shot of the icebergs on the lake

On our way up getting our first views of the ice at the back of the lake

The Notch covered in fog

Fog starting to lift

Seeing the top of Mt. Wilbur with the fog dissipating

This is a steep section of the climb, not the easiest of approaches for a mountain, lots of route finding hopefully if you try you can follow the cairns

Another view as we get higher, I took over 200 pictures today and half were of this amazing lake

Fog almost all gone as we near the Notch

Calm breeze less day gives amazing reflections on the lake

Awesome pinnacle at the Notch

Looking down from the Notch

Traversing around to the back side to the summit, B-7 Pillar in the background.  On our way down a guy we ran into had just free climbed that...crazy!

On of the first pictures I took looking down from the summit

Amazing view

I usually don't take single summit photos but I had to today

Another shot

Summit photo

Clouds hiding Merritt

Example of the clouds that were all around us

Lake after descent, still calm and amazing

Notch after descent, it was starting to sprinkle a little here










No comments:

Post a Comment