*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

August 13, 2018

Mount Jackson Glacier National Park August 1, 2018

We knew this was going to be a long day so we actually headed out on the 31st of July and drove down to the trail-head and stayed the night in our vehicles.  We then got up really early and we were on the trail by 6 am.  The approach was a long one and we eventually got to Gunsight Lake and started taking the trail up to Gunsight Pass but then a ways up we started our off-trail portion.  It was a hot day and very tiring.  Total time today was 15.5 hours and it was a good thing I brought lots to eat and drink because I needed it.  This was my 4th of the 6th 10,000 foot peaks I've bagged in Glacier and now I only have two left, Siyeh and Kintla.  The summit view was amazing and looking down on the many glaciers was equally amazing.  Didn't realise but the largest glacier in the park (Harrison) is on the back side of Jackson.  We decided to take a little different way down and to meet the Gunsight trail a little higher up and use it to loose elevation.  Part way down we actually saw a little bear, but didn't get a real good picture.  All in all a great day, just very long and good thing we stayed the night before because we would have missed the 11pm border otherwise.

Neat display of all the Glaciers and how they are shrinking at the Jackson Glacier Lookout

Beautiful meadow, with a moose in the middle we saw and a great view of Mt. Jackson in the distance

Morning view of Mt. Jackson, Jackson Glacier and Blackfoot Glacier

Almost to Gunsight lake looking at our objective for the day

Heading up looking down at Gunsight Lake

Lots of route finding on the way up

Gunsight Pass in the background as we forge ahead

We did stop and reflect every now and again, looking over the two glaciers Blackfoot and Jackson

This looks like a Glacier but I don't think it is anymore, this was on the north side of the mountain

Brothers on a summit

Our summit picture

Heading down with Harrison Glacier below us

Better picture of the Jackson and Blackfoot Glaciers

Back on the trail looking down on Gunsight Lake

Sun had set by the time we finished...long day

Track of Hike

Summit Video

Summit Photo Sphere

Video of Glaciers


No comments:

Post a Comment