*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

July 14, 2018

Roche Miette Jasper National Park June 23, 2018

What a whirlwind day! So a good friend was going to be in a conference in Jasper and we had been trying to find a time we could get together to hike and well this is what we decided on and boy was it a good one.  So I got up at 4:30 am and drove to Jasper park.  I arrived at about 1 pm and we started hiking at about 2:30 pm.  It was a great hike with such a beautiful day.  We passed a lot of people coming down and as we passed we asked if they had made it to the top?  Most replied no because it was too steep or difficult.  Finally near the last saddle before the steep section we passed a group of 4 older gentlemen and asked if they had summited and they said yes in a very strong accent.  We asked where they were from thinking they would say somewhere in Europe.  They responded Edmonton! Anyways once we summited we saw their names in the register, and they were part of the Polish Alpine Club.  I'm assuming they have summited many mountains before and funny how all the younger people didn't summit but a bunch of mid 70 men were able to do it.  Our summit was terrific, nice thing about hiking in non-southern Alberta areas is there is usually no wind.  I think since it was clear enough, we could see Mt. Robson from the top of this mountain.  Well we eventually started down and finished the hike at about 10:30 pm, good thing the sun sets much later in Jasper.  Then we headed to Earls for some grub and then crashed for a few hours at the hotel and then drove home.  I got home Sunday at about noon so I had been gone for a total of 1 day and 7 hours.  Not bad for a quick hike to Jasper eh!

Leaving Raymond at 5am just before sunrise

View of Roche Miette at the beginning

Don't see these flowers in the south, very pretty

On our way up looking east

Kind of reminds me of Chief Mountain

Our scramble up was a good one

Getting closer to the top

Looking back at where we had come up

On the summit plateau

On the summit, good thing those clouds stayed south of us

Summit Selfie

Summit Photo

Awesome cliffs on the north side

Looking north to a false summit

This ridge looked like the back to a dragon with its rock sticking up out of the ground

Great evening sun on Roche Miette

Finished Selfie

Driving home Sunday morning saw some great views early in the morning

Amazing view of Peyto Lake early Sunday Morning

Summit Panorama


No comments:

Post a Comment