*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

August 14, 2021

Triple Crown in One Day July 24, 2021 Waterton Lakes National Park

So a few of us (4) had planned doing this back in March when we stayed at the Cameron Lake Hut.  It then ballooned to many more people.  I have done each of these hikes many times but to do them in one day is quite a feat.  We had wanted to do it in June but the snow pack was still to much and so we postponed it to today.  We drove up early I think I was up at about 1:30am and we met at Cameron Falls at about 3:30 and we were on the trail by about 4:00am.  We had a few join us on one or two hikes but it was 12 that finished all three.  I had a dip in a lake between each hike and even had a change of cloths for each hike.  We also had most of our food between hikes and the break to recharge was pretty good.  Akamina was our first it took us about 5 hours, then Summit was next and that took about 4.5 hours and the last was Crypt which took just over 5 hours.  In total we did about 60km on the day and I think I hit my first ever 10,000 Calorie day.  I took about 80,000 steps as well. I figured I drank about 12 liters of fluids today, I also sweat about that much too.  Busy day but fun as well, great sense of accomplishment finishing this.

4am starting group, all smiles right now!

Sun Rising going up Akamina Ridge

Looking down on Wall Lake

Sun finally shows itself through the smoke on the prairie

One of my favorite views looking down on Upper Kintla Lake

Sun shining with Wall Lake below

First Summit of Day

Beautiful calm morning on Wall Lake

Start of Summit 

Heading up looking down on Cameron Lake

It was sure hot on this stretch of the hike, not much relief or shade 

Summit number two for the day

Lot's of snow left on Upper Carthew Lake

Recharging at Cameron Falls Parking area

Boat ride over to Crypt, we had a few on the boat (14)

Crypt Falls, almost there

We are all pretty fatigued at this point, but almost to the lake

We made it (Crypt Lake)

Three high points done for the day, just have to hike down

Legs a little wobbly, good thing we have the cable to hold to

We were a little sore, bruised and loaded up on drugs on the way out

Still enough light to hike without headlamps

Done, the 12 who made it

Sun pretty much set, but till light enough to drive the boat

Packed in the boat on the way back

Track of Entire Day






No comments:

Post a Comment