*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

August 13, 2020

Three Lakes Ridge and Rainy Ridge August 12, 2020 Castle Wildland Provincial Park

 Today we headed to a pretty area south of Westcastle Ski Resort.  It was another bike/hike/bike trip.  The bike in this time was not as difficult as Tornado and the ride out was nice and easy.  In the past you could drive a section of this road up, but now the road is closed to motor vehicle traffic and you bike the extra 2.5 km.  The trail takes you up and over the Middle Kootenay Pass and into the Middle Pass Lakes area.  From here we headed up Three Lakes Ridge and got a great view looking down on the lakes.  While going up Three Lakes Ridge we got to travel on a huge slab for about 250 meters.  It was pretty neat and the about perfect, any more steep and it probably would be to hard to climb without gear.  After our first summit we headed over to Rainy Ridge.  The views down on the lake were great, there are a lot of Larch trees around the lakes so this area would be great to be in come fall time.  The best part about Rainy Ridge was the scree ski down.  It was one of the best we have hiked in years and it took us no time at all to get down to the lakes from Rainy Ridge.  On the way back to the Middle Kootenay Pass we took our time and ate huckleberry's that were ripe and delicious on way.  Great day with some splendid views.

Leaving Alberta

View of the Slab

Here is the angle of the slab

Big crack in the slab, I wonder if this will break apart some time and slough down the mountain

It was quite the calf burner going up

At the top of the slab looking back at what we climbed up

View down on Middle Pass Lakes from Three Lakes Ridge

Closer view of Middle Pass Lakes while traversing the ridge to Rainy

Summit of Rainy

Scree ski down Rainy

At the first Middle Pass Lake looking up at Three Lakes Ridge

Another view of the first Middle Pass Lake looking over to the ridge we traversed to get to Rainy

Huckleberries

Track of Hike




No comments:

Post a Comment