*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

September 16, 2018

Window Mountain/Allison Peak/Ward Mountain Sept 16, 2018 Crowsnest Pass

This was quite the day, as we drove to Crowsnest pass we had fog and very poor visibility.  Then as we came close to our destination the fog cleared and the mountains opened to our view.  We did notice some new snow all over the mountains at higher elevation, but that wasn't going to turn us back.  So we decided to start with Window mountain.  We came up the drainage between Window and Ward and headed up to the window.  The snow got pretty deep at times but going up on the scree wasn't too bad.  We got to the Window and had amazing views all around.  We went to see if we could traverse over top of the window but we decided that it was too snow covered and we didn't want to slip so we headed down from the window to try coming back up another spot to regain the ridge.  Well we got into a section we probably shouldn't have tried coming up.  It got way to steep and the snow started to melt a little.  Eventually we did make it to the ridge but I did have a little scare where I lost my footing and slid down on my but in the snow about 10 feet.  It was one of those moments you always fear may happen but luckily I was able to stop myself.  From there to the end of the day we had no real troubles bagging the remaining 3 peaks.  As we finished summiting Ward Mountain the cloud had rolled in and the view we had at the end wasn't as great as the beginning but we had a great day.

Heading up the scree between Window and Ward, Window Mountain on left

First view of the Window (center top of picture)

Pretty Cirque covered in snow

Heading up to the window

More heading up

Almost to the window

Looking at Ward from the window

Looking south from the window

Crowsnest and Seven Sisters through the window

Connecting piece over the window

Another shot of the window

This is the gully we took to access the ridge to get on top of Window Mountain, it was about 80 feet below this point where I slipped and luckily stopped or I could have gone a lot further

Little snow cornice on the ridge of Window mountain

Almost to the summit of Allison

Heading over to Ward Mountain on the left

View of the Window from the ridge going up to Ward Mountain

Clouds rolling in while on Ward Mountain, that is Allison Peak the right point

Another shot of the clouds coming in with Window on left

Heading down Ward, with neat clouds behind in picture

More clouds rolling in on our way down to Window Lake

This picture makes it look like it was a winter picture, but the day was actually pleasant

Cairn above Window Lake

At Window Lake, nice area maybe I'll come and camp here one day











No comments:

Post a Comment