*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

September 27, 2018

Bellevue Hill, Mount Galwey, Mount Dungarvan SE2, and Lakeview Peak Sept 26, 2018 Waterton Lakes National Park

So today I set out to finish my goal of 40 summits in my 40th year.  And I figured I'd go out with a bang in Waterton.  I hadn't hiked in Waterton all year and the last time I had hiked in Waterton I was chased off a mountain by a helicopter!  Anyways as I got up in the morning I got a reminder on Facebook that it was two years ago today that I had finished my last summit to complete my last goal to climb all the mountains in Waterton.  How fitting that I finish this goal on the same day and in Waterton!  Anyways the forecast was for a great day.  We drove to the Bison Paddock and started our big loop from there.  It was a super long day and we had to use headlamps the last hour to get out.  The route we took I hadn't taken before but because of the fire it was a lot clearer than it would have been years before.  The wind was about the only down side to today, it was howling at times and made our summit stays a little shorter.  The views were great even though there was a little cloud cover most of the day.  I can now take some time off hiking as I'm a little tuckered out as I did all 40 peaks in about a 6 month window.  Not too shabby!

Start to our beautiful day!

Burned trees going up Bellevue

Our objective ridge in the background with burned chard trees in the front

A pretty false summit view of Bellevue

View from Bellevue looking towards Blakiston and Galwey

Chard trees on the ridge to Galwey

One lone Larch tree by the window of Galwey, not too many of these left in the park

The window of Galwey

Summit of Galwey

A few more Larch trees down below the summit of Galwey

Chard Crandell Lake area, the trees around the lake all gone

The connecting ridge to Dungarvan SE2 was probably the hardest portion of our hike but wasn't too bad

That same ridge looking back at Galwey

On top of the high point (unnamed peak) between Galwey and Dungarvan SE2

Cool Pinnacle tower, I remember the last time I passed here wondering how this hasn't fallen over?

Cool silhouette picture as the sun got lower

From Dungarvan SE2 looking back at what we had climbed

Looking at where we would descent and then Lakeview on the Right

Cool fall colors of the prairie north of Lakeview, notice the burned trees section from last year

The burned horseshoe basin

40 finally done!

Track of Hike

3D flyover of hike








No comments:

Post a Comment