*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

September 12, 2018

Sentry Mountain September 12, 2018 Crowsnest Pass

Well our travels took us further north today to the Crowsnest Pass.  The last hike I had done here was Crowsnest Mountain and the day had been cloudy and we didn't get much of a view.  Today started out about the same all around us and we got a glimpse every now and then of the mountains around us.  Sentry did stay clear itself of clouds and fog but the views around were covered in clouds.  It was still a good day though.  We stated on the west side of the mountain and took a pretty neat ridge up to the top.  There were a few spots that were pretty exposed but if you are careful they were not too bad.  The wind kept us pretty cool most of the day but luckily the summit shielded us from the cold wind and we were able to relax for a while on top.  On our way down we wanted to check out some of the caves on the east end of the mountain.  So we descended and found them.  The first one we went inside and explored a little bit.  The next one someone else was already in so we didn't go in as it is a cave that you repel down and we didn't want to kick any rocks or snow down the cave mouth that would fall on them.  There is a cool YouTube video of that cave, check it out here.

Beginning of our hike at the rock quarry with Sentry in the clouds

Little rainbow in the distance as we emerged from the treed section to take the rocky ridge to the top

The false summit on the way up

Crowsnest Mountain in the clouds

The true summit in view

Continuing along the ridge to the summit

Looking back on some of the ridge we climbed

Getting closer

Probably the most exposed section was just before the summit, we had to down climb this and traverse a narrow ridge in the wind...good thing the wind wasn't as strong as earlier

Final push to the summit

Looking towards Chinook Peak and the Andy Good Peak in the clouds

Our first clear view of Crowsnest Mountain

Heading down the scree on the east side

Our first cave

Looking out from inside the cave

Inside the cave with a few sky light openings

The next cave, this was the one that the group climbed down inside in the linked YouTube video above

The opening to this cave is huge

Last shot of Crowsnest Mountain






No comments:

Post a Comment