*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

August 09, 2016

Red Rock Rim Traverse August 1, 2016

This was a pretty tough one, but I was able to knock 2 more named peaks off my list and got within about 30 minutes from a third.  I had seen this one on another hikers blog and basically followed it as he had.  It was pretty tough but it was a great day.  We started at Coppermine Creek picnic area and headed up the ridge to its west.  We gained the ridge on the higher summit behind Galwey and basically kept that ridge the entire way to just below Cloudy Ridge.  Coming down from there wasn't bad until we hit the grass slope just before we got to Red Rock Canyon.  We then followed the creek bed until we arrived at the parking lot of Red Rock Canyon.  I only got my boots wet once the entire way down the creek bed...good thing the water levels were lower!

As we climbed up that ridge west of Galwey this was the view we had towards Anderson Peak

This is Dungarvan and Dungarvan SE2 our two summits we attained later in the day

Looking back at Blakiston

This first ridge had a few tricky parts but not too bad (Blakiston and Anderson in background)

Higher unnamed peak behind Galwey.  (Look how different Galwey looks from here)

Funky Cliffs on this section

More weird rock/cliff formations

Carter under this weird tower.  I have no idea how this hasn't tumbled over the years?

Awesome cliff below the ridge on the way to Dungarvan SE2

Looking back at ridge we traversed from Dungarvan SE2

Impressive view of the prairie from Dungarvan SE2

On top of Dungarvan SE2 (2nd summit of day, one named and one unnamed)

On our way to Dungarvan..really didn't want to loose all the elevation

Almost to the top of Dungarvan (Dungarvan SE2 in background)

The top of Dungarvan is quite fascinating.  It has these towering castle cliffs right on top of the mountain. 

Heading to the true summit of Dungarvan straight ahead

Last steep part of Summit block, luckily someone had left a rope to get over this tricky part

We weren't even the first to summit today?  The other party included Alan Kane who wrote the book "Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies" I would have loved to meet him, but I guess if we climbed a mountain the same day that is pretty good as well!

Dungarvan Summit (2nd named peak of day 3rd peak if you could unnamed first summit)

Heading down to Cloudy Ridge

Pretty tricky parts coming down the summit block of Dungarvan

Looking back at the castle like cliffs of Dungarvan

Short cut to by-pass a false summit (Cloudy in the distance)

Another view of the short cut (from Dungarvan this looked way to thin to even attempt, but as we got closer it wasn't bad)

As close as I got to Cloudy Ridge.  We were running late and I ran out of gas

Looking down to Red Rock Canyon parking lot, we basically went straight down this

Getting closer to the Parking Lot

When I was a kid we hiked up Red Rock Canyon to a big waterfall.  I had never hiked far enough since to see it, so It was probably close to 30 years since I had last seen this waterfall.

At the Parking lot looking up to Cloudy and where we had been a few hours earlier

Panorama on Dungarvan SE2




My track for this hike was a fail.  Mapmyhike wouldn't let me start without connecting to the network (not in cell phone service at the time) so I had to only track with Google Tracks and it can't transfer off my phone, so I did a screen snap of the track and that is the best I can do.





No comments:

Post a Comment