*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

October 24, 2015

Ruby Ridge September 19, 2015 in Waterton

I wanted to do a family hike and try to have us all summit our first "family" summit.  The day started out pretty nice and the we headed up to the Lineham Cliff's trail in Waterton.  We hiked along the path till we got to a clearing with grassy slopes to the right of the trail and just before the clearing ended we headed up the grassy slopes.  We did get to see a black bear off in the distance right when we came tot he clearing.  The grassy slopes were pretty steep for the kids and Traci was surprised at how hard it was and was a little upset at me at this time. As we got higher the wind intensified.  The kids did pretty good and eventually it got to windy for them to continue so I elected to go summit myself and the kids and Traci stayed in a more sheltered area about 3/4 the way up the ridge.  I got to the top and had a beautiful yet windy summit view.  I headed down, found my family and we all headed down.  Once we reached the trail it was not as windy and quite nice.  We then headed down and finished the hike for the day.
Beginning of our Family Hike
Just before we got off the trail and headed up to Ruby Ridge (notice Lineham Peak behind the kids)
Getting windy near the top
Resting on the "Ruby" rocks on the way up



This is about as high as the kids got, I continued on and got to the summit as it was too windy for everyone else


On the Summit in the wind (behind me is Lineham Lakes)


Summit Cairn looking towards Crandel and Waterton


Bakiston Cliffs looking down on Ruby Lake


On the way down, these kids were troopers today


Back on the Trail with a family photo showing our "Miles for Mark" T-Shirts


Beautiful Fall colors in Waterton
Panorama from the top

Track I recorded of the route taken on this hike

Here are the stats from Google Tracks Recording:

Name: Ruby Ridge
Activity type: hiking
Description: -
Total distance: 6.31 km (3.9 mi)
Total time: 5:29:48
Moving time: 4:33:54
Average speed: 1.15 km/h (0.7 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 1.38 km/h (0.9 mi/h)
Max speed: 25.77 km/h (16.0 mi/h)
Average pace: 52:15 min/km (84:06 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 43:24 min/km (69:51 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 2:20 min/km (3:45 min/mi)
Max elevation: 2419 m (7937 ft)
Min elevation: 1509 m (4949 ft)
Elevation gain: 889 m (2916 ft)
Max grade: 62 %
Min grade: -58 %


Recorded: 9/19/2015 10:06 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment