*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

October 13, 2015

Attempt at Carthew and Buchanan Peaks Oct 13, 2015 in Waterton

This was attempt number two at trying to summit Buchanan Peak and Ridge.  The last attempt we ran into snow and winds and decided it wasn't safe.  This time we had a beautiful day and again had to turn back and go another route because of very high wind gusts.  We got to within probably a few hundred feet of the summit of Carthew Peak before we turned around.  It was still a nice day and the Carthew/Alderson summit hike to the Waterton townsite never disappoints escpecially with the fall colors.  
Beautiful Sunrise on Sofa Mountain on our way to the hike


Looking over at Mount Custer in the U.S. with Kinnerly and Kintla Peaks behind 


Carter and I on top of the summit ridge of the Carthew/Alderson Summit hike
Our hiking group on the windy ride of the Carthew/Alderson Summit Trail


Looking down on Carthew Lakes on the way up to try and Summit Carthew Peak


Beautiful View looking down on the Carthew Lakes with Mount Alderson in the background


It was
 a little past this that we decided to turn back...I think we could have made it but my son was almost getting picked 
Google Sphere picture of about as high as we got
up by the win, so I figured we could try this hike another day
Beautiful little waterfall after the first Carthew Lake that had icicles on it!

This looking back and up at the Buchanan Ridge and Peak that we had wanted to Summit.  The Ridge is actually the high point in the center of the picture and the Summit which is actually lower is left in this picture
Google Sphere Photo

Link to Google Track of this Hike


Here are the Google Track Stats of the Hike:



Name: Carthew/Alderson Summit
Activity type: hiking
Description: -
Total distance: 19.99 km (12.4 mi)
Total time: 6:49:56
Moving time: 6:28:10
Average speed: 2.93 km/h (1.8 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 3.09 km/h (1.9 mi/h)
Max speed: 9.00 km/h (5.6 mi/h)
Average pace: 20:30 min/km (32:60 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 19:25 min/km (31:15 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 6:40 min/km (10:44 min/mi)
Max elevation: 2494 m (8183 ft)
Min elevation: 1289 m (4230 ft)
Elevation gain: 1018 m (3341 ft)
Max grade: 53 %
Min grade: -49 %


Recorded: 10/12/2015 8:23 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment