*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

October 25, 2015

Hawkins and Blakiston Summits August 3, 2015

I had been looking to do the Hawkins Horseshoe hike for quite some time and so I finally got a group together to attempt it.  It was a hazy day and very hot.  As a result of the heat I ran out of water just before Lineham peak and our group split up with 3 making the final peak and the rest of us going down to Rowe Meadow. Non the less it was a great day and I was able to summit Blakiston a third time and Summit Hawkins for the first time.
Heading up the south side of Blakiston from Lineham Falls trail with Lineham Falls and lakes in the distance

Lots of steep shale to climb

Getting near the top

The last steep climb near the top

Looking down to where we came

At the top looking down toward Cleveland in the far distance, you can see how hazy it was

Blakiston Summit, first summit for the day

Father and Son with Lineham Lakes behind us

Heading down Blakiston to traverse over to Hawkins on the left

Another view of Lineham Lakes

Hawkins our second peak for the day

Ridge traverse from Blakiston to Hawkins

Some neat colors along the way

Crack in the traverse looking at what we climbed up to get to Blakiston. It looks a lot steeper than it really is

Lineham Lakes below Mount Hawkins, we circumnavigated the Lakes on this hike

Summit of Hawkins, peak 2 for the day

Lineham Peak in the center, I had done it twice before so I didn't feel too bad not being able to climb it today

At the lookout along the Tamarack Trail with Lineham Lakes behind us and Blakiston in the far distance

Panorama on top of Blakiston

Panorama on top of Hawkins

Google Track of Hike

Stats for Hike:
Name: Hawkins/Blakiston
Activity type: hiking
Description: -
Total distance: 21.21 km (13.2 mi)
Total time: 11:43:04
Moving time: 9:20:25
Average speed: 1.81 km/h (1.1 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 2.27 km/h (1.4 mi/h)
Max speed: 5.40 km/h (3.4 mi/h)
Average pace: 33:09 min/km (53:21 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 26:25 min/km (42:32 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 11:07 min/km (17:53 min/mi)
Max elevation: 2923 m (9591 ft)
Min elevation: 1548 m (5079 ft)
Elevation gain: 1778 m (5834 ft)
Max grade: 63 %
Min grade: -38 %
Recorded: 8/3/2015 7:35 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment