*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

October 25, 2015

Attempt at Carthew and Buchanan Peaks September 7, 2015

On September 7, 2015 Regan, Mike and I tried to Summit Carthew and Buchanan in one hike.  The day started out good but as we climbed higher the snow got deeper.  Once we hit the Summit ridge the wind increased and the cloud cover worsened.  We decided the safest bet would be to turn around.  So we headed back to Summit Lake and decided to go the alternate rout back to the town site.  It was a little longer but downhill to start and pretty flat the rest of the way.  In total we hiked more than 31 km that day and once we got in the valley where the American/Canadian border cut line is located the day was rather pleasant.  Lots of beautiful vegetation and a nice not so worn trail.
Cameron Lake the beginning of our hike

Summit Lake with Chapman Peak covered in snow

Heading up to the Carthew/Alderson Summit ridge

Lake Wurdeman in Glacier National Park

Neat little stream in the valley below

Regan and Mike on Summit Ridge, this is where we decided we may have to take another route, Mike is pointing to the next picture view and saying "we are going over there?"

What Mike was pointing at, Carthew Peak to the left and right in the center is Buchanan which was our goal for the day

Carthew Peak covered in snow and not even visible

Mount Alderson not visible either

Some other hikers coming up from Summit Lake about to be disappointed as we were

Shot of us three just before we turned back

We decided to at least tackle the Summit of the Carthew/Alderson Summit hike

On top of the "Summit"


Some Bear tracks in the snow

Lake Wurdeman

The American/Canadian border cut line looking east

The American/Canadian border cut line looking west

The neat not well worn trail from Summit Lake to Boundary Bay

The border cairns with the cut line going up Mount Boswell

Looking back to Cleveland and Glacier Park from Boundary Bay

Vimy Peak covered in snow
Google Track of the Hike

Total distance: 31.24 km (19.4 mi)
Total time: 9:51:59
Moving time: 9:41:59
Average speed: 3.17 km/h (2.0 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 3.22 km/h (2.0 mi/h)
Max speed: 14.06 km/h (8.7 mi/h)
Average pace: 18:57 min/km (30:30 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 18:38 min/km (29:59 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 4:16 min/km (6:52 min/mi)
Max elevation: 2343 m (7686 ft)
Min elevation: 1259 m (4130 ft)
Elevation gain: 1186 m (3890 ft)
Max grade: 43 %
Min grade: -41 %

Recorded: 9/7/2015 8:23 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment