*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

September 13, 2017

Allen Mountain September 13, 2017

The night of September 11 and morning of September 12 was a very sad day as my beautiful Waterton Lakes National Park was basically burned to the ground.  I guess about 75% of the parks area was ravaged by a forest fire that started in the Kenow Mountain area of B.C.  It started in late August from a lightning strike but then eventually entered the park and did some pretty amazing damage.  The full extent is now know yet but I'm sure in the coming days we will now more.  So since I was so depressed from this fire I figured I better go hiking.  So we went to Many Glacier and decided to do Allen Mountain.  It was a great day, still a little hazy from all the fires around but it was pretty good.  The highlight was probably seeing two grizzly bears on the trail.  The first one we saw just as we came to Falling Leaf Lake and the second one we saw as we tried to hike between Falling Leaf Lake and Snow Moon Lake.  We had to back away from the 2nd one and take a different route.  We luckily didn't see them on the way down, but we made sure we made our presence heard!  

Morning was a little clearer in Many Glacier

Waterfall just before Falling Leaf Lake

Falling Leaf Lake with Allen Mountain on left

Our first grizzly bear

He started walking over towards us so we headed away

2nd grizzly we were a little closer to this one

Nice view above the lakes

On the summit ridge to our left was a view of Cracker Lake

A closer view of the section that was a little steeper that we had to climb up

Snow pack on the way up

Huge crack on the snow pack we passed

Looking back at the false summit in the distance from the true summit and the cairn on the right

Summit Photo!

Looking down on Snow Moon Lake on left and Falling Leaf Lake on right

Looking over at Mt. Siyeh and Siyeh glacier (quite hazy)

On our way down looking at the Many glacier area





No comments:

Post a Comment