*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

August 05, 2017

Turtle Mountain August 5, 2017

Well as I was hiking this mountain today, I thought that this mountain is perhaps the first mountain I ever knew by name.  I must have been in grade 1 or 2 when our school took a field trip to Frank Slide and ever since then I have known about this mountain and ever time I have driven past it I have wanted to hike it, well today was that day.  I took my two youngest kids on this hike and they did great.  My youngest kind of wined a little near the top but did pretty good for a 7 year old.  The day started cloudy but by the end it was all sun shine.  We started pretty late at about 11:30 but it was the perfect day to hike, not too hot and not too cold and wasn't windy.  Reaching the first summit is pretty easy as there is a well marked trail the entire way.  However, the 2nd summit is more of a challenge but still very straight forward.  It was remarkable to see the huge and I mean huge cracks between the two summits.  It would not surprise me to hear more of that mountain tumbling down one day because there are some big cracks up there.  It was kind of fun to explore them as we traversed to and from the true summit.  Pictures of course never do justice but I tried taking some of the really big cracks.

On our way up, actually got to see Crowsnest mountain today, didn't see much of it a few days before summiting it

Our first view of the slide

The infamous Frank Slide

Kids looking down on the slide

View of slide from the first summit

Crack between summits

Another crack picture

Another

Another

This one must be monitored closely, There was quite a few instruments on the true summit because I think they suspect it will crumble down again

Summit shot with the slide behind us

View of the slide and the first summit from the true summit

View of the slide from the true summit

The crumbly section between the two summits

On our way back from looking back at the true summit and the cliffs below

More cracks

Another crack

Another

Another

Another

This one we could have climbed through, but we figured this isn't the most stable mountain!

Almost back to the first summit

Crazy tree, not sure what happened to it?

Looking back at the true summit from just below the lower summit

Another view of Crowsnest

View of the slide from below
Panorama on first Summit


No comments:

Post a Comment