*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

December 29, 2015

Snowshoeing Lineham Cliff Trail December 28, 2015

A friend of mine called me up around Christmas and wanted to get to the mountains.  He was going to be home for Christmas and lives away from the mountains so we decided to go Snowshoeing.  I had never tried this before (snowshoeing) as I usually cross country ski.  I figured Lineham Cliff trail would be pretty in the winter and I was right.  I had to get back to work on the day we chose so we headed out really early in the morning.  We were the first set of tracks on the snow covered road as we entered Waterton.  We were on the trail by about 8:30 am and had finished by about 12:30.  Snowshoeing is a little more difficult than I had thought.  I had hiked this trail a few months before and it took us much less time.  The trail along the Ruby Ridge slope was also pretty packed down and was on an incline so you had to walk and try not to slide down the slope.  You also use different muscles for hiking or walking as you have to lift you foot higher and keep a wider stride as you go.  The day was gorgeous, it could have been a little clearer but the over cast snowfall was pretty as well.  We had not a breath of wind which is very rare in Waterton and the temperature was just cold enough that you didn't have to have too many layers.  I of course still sweat profusely but I always do...I did forget my headband and had to hike without my glasses as it got to foggy on my lenses.  We returned a little later than I should but still got in a good 3 hours at work.  The track for this hike is broken up because my phone must have got too cold and restarted itself at the half way point of the hike.

Blazing a trail in the morning, first tracks on the road!

Rowe Mountain at the start of our hike

Winter Wonderland!

Previous picture was looking back on the trail, this is from the same spot looking forward.  Love the snow on the trees!

Clouds clearing around Buchanan Ridge

Close up of snow capped Buchanan ridge

Change of socks, feet were getting a little cool

Hard to get traction on some parts of the trail.  This is the slope of Ruby Ridge I was talking about in the description at the top of this blogs entry

Creek along the way covered in snow

Emerging from the trees, we were definitely the first tracks on this snow in some time

Our view of Lineham cliff...snow fall making it not as clear as I would have liked but still beautiful

Looking North to Blakiston, this ravine is the route you take up Blakiston

Lineham Peak to our South

Zoomed picture of Lineham Cliff

See how sweaty I got!

Starting to head back

Sun peaking through the trees

Almost got full sunshine at one point

Little clearer on Buchanan ridge on the way back

The end

Video at half way point of hike

Google Track of Hike (two parts):

Track up Lineham

Stats of Track:
Total distance: 3.52 km (2.2 mi)
Total time: 2:22:55
Moving time: 2:22:55
Average speed: 1.48 km/h (0.9 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 1.48 km/h (0.9 mi/h)
Max speed: 14.84 km/h (9.2 mi/h)
Average pace: 40:36 min/km (65:20 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 40:36 min/km (65:20 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 4:03 min/km (6:30 min/mi)
Max elevation: 1866 m (6123 ft)
Min elevation: 1546 m (5072 ft)
Elevation gain: 333 m (1092 ft)
Max grade: 23 %
Min grade: -13 %

Recorded: 12/28/2015 8:25 AM


Stats of Hike:
Total distance: 3.58 km (2.2 mi)
Total time: 1:41:40
Moving time: 1:19:29
Average speed: 2.11 km/h (1.3 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 2.70 km/h (1.7 mi/h)
Max speed: 4.85 km/h (3.0 mi/h)
Average pace: 28:26 min/km (45:46 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 22:14 min/km (35:47 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 12:23 min/km (19:55 min/mi)
Max elevation: 1863 m (6112 ft)
Min elevation: 1551 m (5088 ft)
Elevation gain: 21 m (69 ft)
Max grade: 10 %
Min grade: -24 %
Recorded: 12/28/2015 10:52 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment