*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

September 06, 2020

Bertha Peak September 2, 2020 Waterton Lakes National Park

 So another Carter peak today, after today he only has two left to finish the Waterton Summits.  I've done this one two times before and the trail up to the lake I've done too many times that I can't remember so I figured we'd try a different approach and started on the Carthew/Alderson trail behind Cameron falls and once we reached the corner where the good lookout is of the townsite we headed up that ridge and continued it till we reached the summit.  With the fire this ridge wasn't that bad, it was steep in a few sections but nothing terrible.  Near the end there was a bit of route finding and steep exposed climbing but it was pretty enjoyable.  Once on top we had great clear views in all directions, but within moments of reaching the top some clouds started to form east of us and then within minutes we were above an inversion.  It was amazing to watch and I tried taking a bunch of pictures but they never really captured the moment.  We never got socked in as the temperature on the summit stayed the same.  But once we descended we noticed a significant drop as we descended into the clouds.  Once we came close to Bertha lake we were out of the clouds and then it started to rain a bit on us.  Pretty interesting day.  

Heading up the Burn

We refer to this band of rocks as the "T", if you look at Bertha Peak when driving into the park this horizontal rock band and an avalanche shoot perpendicular to it form a T in the mountainside

Looking down on the townsite

On the Summit ridge looking towards the summit in the middle

Some of the Larches are changing color

Great view to Upper Bertha Falls and Bertha Lake

Some of the exposed scrambling near the top

The beginning of the clouds forming

Getting more dense

Denser

Now surrounding us

Carter off in the distance on that ridge

Coming out of the clouds below

Summit Video






No comments:

Post a Comment