*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

June 16, 2018

5 Peak Day (Appistoki/8650/Henry/Medicine/Scenic) June 6, 2018

Today was a beautiful day to hike but a very exhausting day as well.  The disadvantage of going to Two Medicine is that it is over two hours away.  We left at 6am and didn't get home till close to 10pm.  We hiked for 10 hours and drove for like 5 hours.  But it was all worth it.  This day is mostly a long ridge walk.  We started on the Scenic Point trail and took that till a ravine then scrambled up to Appistoki.  The views all day long were spectacular.  We got a better view today of Stimson than when we hiked Stimson, it was all covered in snow.  Henry was the elevation high point of the day and was well worth it.  The only tricky part was coming down Henry towards Medicine where there was a little bit of a sketchy section to down-climb.

Where we left the Scenic Point trail 

This is where we climbed up Appistoki, we stayed left of the snow

Had to traverse a few snow patches nearing the summit of Appistoki

First views of Two Medicine Lake

View towards the next two summits of our day 8650 and Henry

That is Stimson covered in snow in the middle of photo

Almost got the full view of Two Medicine Lake

Little window approaching 8650 we found

On top of 8650 an un-named summit but worth the visit with its great views

Summit of Mt. Henry

Mt. St. Nicholas in the middle

Look at the snow in the middle it almost looks like a face!

Tricky down climb shot

Looking back at what we climbed down

Summit of Medicine, we didn't think it was much of a summit approaching it from Henry but when climbing down the ridge and looking back we gained a greater appreciation for it being a named summit

Looking back at Medicine mountain heading over to Scenic Point

Can see three of our Summits in this picture Medicine, Henry and Appistoki

View from Scenic Point our final Summit for the day

This little feller followed us down the trail for a bit...not sure why

Great view on the way down of Two Medicine

Gnarly little tree on the way down, there was a whole valley of similar trees on the way down from Scenic Point

Better view of our ascent route up Appistoki, we stayed left of the creek and snow on the bottom and middle of photo then headed straight up the middle of the snow near the top











No comments:

Post a Comment