*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

February 14, 2016

Winter Scout Camp February 12-13, 2016

Our winter camp this year was a good one, and the weather was great.  We headed up to the Community Pasture just south of Mountain View and loaded up our packs (full gear) and hiked about 5 km to the Pole Have Ski Cabin.  This Cabin was built in 1939 and was quite nice for our purposes.  We stayed the night there and the boys had a great time.  We actually were probably too warm in the cabin as I maybe overdid the stove for the night with too much wood.  The next morning I wanted to get up and watch the sun rise.  So I got up and hiked to the ridge above the cabin and got a great view of the prairie below.  The mountains west were not visible through the trees but I did get a stunning view of chief mountain to the south.  I came back to camp and the boys were busy sliding down the sides that snowmobiles had made going up the side of the hill in front of the cabin.  We messed around there for a few hours and then hiked home.

As a side note I've recently found out that Google is terminating the Tracks app I have used for years, so I'm trying to find a replacement.  I tried mapmyhike this camp and I'll try and get the same tracks up of the hikes but I'm just figuring it out.

This little thicket of trees was a humbling site.  This is where my daughter almost two years ago had a snowmobile accident

My son holding a piece of the yellow snowmobile that my daughter crashed.  We found quite a few pieces of the snowmobile which we took home to show my daughter

This is the site where the snowmobile was laying on my daughter 

This was the damage the snowmobile did on the tree when the snowmobile hit it

Chief towering over us to the south

Sun setting on us (this is looking west to the prairies)

The Pole Haven Ski Cabin

My son with the sign saying what year it was built

The stars at night were amazing, this was my feeble attempt at a star shot, I had to doctor the picture a bunch to have the stars show up

This was the flames coming out of the chimney, it was pretty hot in that stove!

Sun rise

This was an edited photo, but it was a beautiful morning!

Sun rising on Chief Mountain

From the top of the ridge looking down on the cabin

Another shot of chief 

Coming down from the ridge with a neat shot through the trees

This was where the boys were sliding down hill (Since it had been so warm it was pretty icy and there was no need for a sled)
Inside the Cabin looking north

Inside the cabin looking south

On our way out

Panorama from Pole Haven Ridge where I watched Sunrise

Panorama of Chief Mountain Sunrise

Google Sphere Photo of Chief Mountain Sunrise

These are the Google Track Hikes:

Hike up to the Cabin (Feb 12)

Stats for hike up to Cabin:
Total distance: 4.56 km (2.8 mi)
Total time: 1:44:13
Moving time: 1:31:39
Average speed: 2.62 km/h (1.6 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 2.98 km/h (1.9 mi/h)
Max speed: 9.00 km/h (5.6 mi/h)
Average pace: 22:53 min/km (36:49 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 20:07 min/km (32:23 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 6:40 min/km (10:44 min/mi)
Max elevation: 1610 m (5283 ft)
Min elevation: 1413 m (4635 ft)
Elevation gain: 218 m (714 ft)
Max grade: 16 %
Min grade: -16 %
Recorded: 2/12/2016 3:59 PM


Stats for hike back from Cabin:
Total distance: 4.52 km (2.8 mi)
Total time: 1:25:29
Moving time: 1:19:07
Average speed: 3.18 km/h (2.0 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 3.43 km/h (2.1 mi/h)
Max speed: 17.10 km/h (10.6 mi/h)
Average pace: 18:54 min/km (30:25 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 17:29 min/km (28:09 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 3:31 min/km (5:39 min/mi)
Max elevation: 1617 m (5305 ft)
Min elevation: 1409 m (4623 ft)
Elevation gain: 59 m (192 ft)
Max grade: 20 %
Min grade: -30 %
Recorded: 2/13/2016 12:58 PM


Stats for hike back from the sunrise:
Total distance: 1.23 km (0.8 mi)
Total time: 43:35
Moving time: 38:29
Average speed: 1.70 km/h (1.1 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 1.92 km/h (1.2 mi/h)
Max speed: 9.00 km/h (5.6 mi/h)
Average pace: 35:23 min/km (56:56 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 31:14 min/km (50:16 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 6:40 min/km (10:44 min/mi)
Max elevation: 1753 m (5752 ft)
Min elevation: 1608 m (5276 ft)
Elevation gain: 7 m (22 ft)
Max grade: 9 %
Min grade: -32 %
Recorded: 2/13/2016 7:37 AM

These Links are of the mapmyhike Tracks:





No comments:

Post a Comment