*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

June 20, 2020

Mount Glendowan June 20, 2020 Waterton Lakes National Park Alberta

Today we headed up to the Red Rock Canyon area of Waterton, this area has been closed to the public since the fall of 2017 (to vehicle traffic).  So since the road opened up we decided to head on up for a great little scramble up Glendowan.  We biked the first bit and then ditched the bikes and headed up the ridge like Carter and I had done 4 years ago.  The bush wacking this time was non existent because the fire took care of that.  The hike was pretty straight forward and for the 2nd time in a row the top was windy and cold.  The clouds blew in half way through the day and we had a little drizzle of rain from time to time.  I remember the down being easier or maybe I'm just getting older.  Anyways a great day and glad to be back in the Red Rock area for hiking...it has been too long. 

Usually the trees blocked the view but had a great look at Anderson early on

You can see all the burned trees in the distance

The flowers were coming up

The fire burned most of the way up this valley heading to snowshoe cabin, from here you can see the trees in the middle that were spared...all the way up to twin lakes

This high point has always perplexed me.  It is an un-named summit the lies between Glendowan and Newman and yet is higher than Newman and is still not named??? Pretty waterfall in middle

Still snow in a few places, the north slopes of Blakiston are completely burned

Summit block in view

Big snow drift thwarted our final approach and we had to circumnavigate because it was too soft to walk on

This jagged ridge (between Glendowan and Cloudy) has been something I've wanted to climb for years...it will have to wait

Wide angle GoPro picture on Summit

Cold Summit Picture


Some areas were definitely chard more than others, at this spot even the under brush hasn't grown back





No comments:

Post a Comment