*I hope people use their own wise judgement when hiking always plan ahead and be prepared. One should never go beyond their abilities.*

Over the years I've had a few goals my first was to Summit all the Peaks of Waterton. Here is My Waterton Summit List I completed that goal on September 26, 2016.

My next goal I'm still working on and that is to summit the 6 10,000 foot Summmits of Glacier National Park. I have one left Kintla.

My 2018 Goal that I accomplished was to summit 40 peaks in my 40th year and that I finished on September 26, 2018.

Not sure what will be my next goal, once Glacier's Summits are done?

I commonly use 3 Hashtags on my social media. The first one is #itookthepathlesstraveledby which is to reference this blog. The next two relate to my father and grandfather who were also hikers. #milesformarkellingson is to remember my
Dad, Mark Ellingson and #dustfromthetrailandhowitsettledonme is to remember my Grandfather Earl Ellingson

August 06, 2019

Bertha Peak August 5, 2019 Waterton Lakes National Park

So a family hike to Bertha Lake turned into a summit for me and my brother-in-law.  Pretty straight forward, I had done this summit before except this time I took the Alan Kane route once we reached the lake and I think that is the best way to go.  It was a very hot day and the view from on top was pretty amazing.  The dip in the lake after summiting was probably the highlight of the day as we were so hot.  The view down on the trail was quite different from last time since that last time was pre-fire in Waterton.  The lack of shade also made the trek up to the lake a little warmer than usual as well.  Hopefully trees will grow back quick because hiking with no shelter on hot days isn't fun.

After the lookout on the trail you can see how many trees are burnt in the valley below

More dead trees, the black has sloughed off trees since we did this hike in January

Bertha falls was saved from the burn

There were a few trees on the way up that survived

This trail used to be so well shaded

At times you could still smell the burn

More burn

Lake view hasn't changed much

Heading up the Kane route

You can see the burned and non-burned trees as you get higher

Summit view over to Blakiston

View down on the two lakes

Beautiful view to Vimy

Almost got a view of the entire Bertha Lake

Sun going down and looking over at Cleveland
Summit Video

Summit Photo Sphere

Track of Hike

No comments:

Post a Comment